American Offshore Whaling Voyages: A Database
Source(s) for Voyage of Emerald (Bark) 1836, Jul - 1838, Apr. Sailing from Salem, MA to South Atlantic & Indian. Sent home 300 Sperm, 1450 Whale, 0 Bone
- Works Progress Administration. Whaling Masters: Voyages 1731-1925. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 1938. Annotated copy located at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Starbuck, Alexander. History of the American Whale Fishery from its Earliest Inception to the Year 1876. 1876. Reprinted Secaucus, NJ: Castle Books, 1989.
- Batchelder, Charles F. Whaleship Index. New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, 1960. Card file.
- Wood, Dennis. "Abstracts of Whaling Voyages, 1831-1873." Microfilm copy from the original manuscript held by the New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford, MA, 1981.
- Robotti, Frances Diane. Whaling and Old Salem (A Chronicle of the Sea). New York: Bonanza Books, 1962.
- Neafie, John. "Captain Peter Nafey and his Whaleboat Crew in the Revolution." Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, 3 (1928).