American Offshore Whaling Voyages: A Database
Source(s) for Voyage of Emerald (Bark) 1840, May - 1843, Feb. Sailing from Salem, MA to Indian. Sent home 400 Sperm, 1100 Whale, 8800 Bone
- Works Progress Administration. Whaling Masters: Voyages 1731-1925. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 1938. Annotated copy located at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Starbuck, Alexander. History of the American Whale Fishery from its Earliest Inception to the Year 1876. 1876. Reprinted Secaucus, NJ: Castle Books, 1989.
- Batchelder, Charles F. Whaleship Index. New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, 1960. Card file.
- Sherman, Stuart C., comp. Judith M. Downey and Virginia Adams, eds. with Howard Pasternak. Whaling Logbooks and Journals, 1613-1927: An Inventory of Manuscript Records in Public Collections. Garland Reference Library of the Humanities, vol. 682. New York and London: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1986.
- Wood, Dennis. "Abstracts of Whaling Voyages, 1831-1873." Microfilm copy from the original manuscript held by the New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford, MA, 1981.
- Robotti, Frances Diane. Whaling and Old Salem (A Chronicle of the Sea). New York: Bonanza Books, 1962.
- Neafie, John. "Captain Peter Nafey and his Whaleboat Crew in the Revolution." Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, 3 (1928).
- Annual Report, 2002. New Bedford, MA: New Bedford Whaling Museum, 2003.
- Maury Abstracts, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, DC
- Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts