American Offshore Whaling Voyages: A Database
Source(s) for Voyage of John Wells (Ship) 1844, Jul - 1846, Jun. Sailing from Sag Harbor, NY to North West Coast. Sent home 60 Sperm, 2340 Whale, 20000 Bone
- Works Progress Administration. Whaling Masters: Voyages 1731-1925. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 1938. Annotated copy located at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Starbuck, Alexander. History of the American Whale Fishery from its Earliest Inception to the Year 1876. 1876. Reprinted Secaucus, NJ: Castle Books, 1989.
- Batchelder, Charles F. Whaleship Index. New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, 1960. Card file.
- Wood, Dennis. "Abstracts of Whaling Voyages, 1831-1873." Microfilm copy from the original manuscript held by the New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford, MA, 1981.
- Adams, James Truslow. History of the Town of Southampton (East End of Canoe Place). Bridgehampton, NY: Hampton Press, 1918.
- Smith, Nancy W. Paine. The Provincetown Book. Brockton, MA: Tolman Print, Inc., 1922.
- Ships' Passports on exhibit. Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum, Sag Harbor, NY.
- Hazard, Russella J. Whaling Notes: Crew lists from various voyages as copied from period newspaper articles. n.d. John Jermain Library, Sag Harbor, NY. Typewritten notes.
- Hain, James. "Woods Hole Whaling." Woods Hole Reflections, M. L. Smith, ed. Woods Hole Historical Collection, 1983.
- Auction Catalog. Nantucket, MA: Raphael Osana Auctions, Inc., August 16, 1997.
- Webb, Robert Lloyd. On the Northwest Coast: Commercial Whaling in the Pacific Northwest 1790-1967. Vancouver, BC: University of British Columbia Press, 1988.
- Ripley, Edward S. Contract with Samuel Osborn & Sons, January 24, 1883. Nicholson Collection, Providence Public Library, Providence, RI. Manuscript.
- Annual Report, 2002. New Bedford, MA: New Bedford Whaling Museum, 2003.
- Maury Abstracts, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, DC