American Offshore Whaling Voyages: A Database
Source(s) for Voyage of John Wells (Ship) 1846, Aug - 1849, Jul. Sailing from Sag Harbor, NY to North West Coast. Sent home 140 Sperm, 2160 Whale, 8000 Bone
- Works Progress Administration. Whaling Masters: Voyages 1731-1925. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 1938. Annotated copy located at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Starbuck, Alexander. History of the American Whale Fishery from its Earliest Inception to the Year 1876. 1876. Reprinted Secaucus, NJ: Castle Books, 1989.
- Batchelder, Charles F. Whaleship Index. New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, 1960. Card file.
- Wood, Dennis. "Abstracts of Whaling Voyages, 1831-1873." Microfilm copy from the original manuscript held by the New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford, MA, 1981.
- Adams, James Truslow. History of the Town of Southampton (East End of Canoe Place). Bridgehampton, NY: Hampton Press, 1918.
- West, Ellsworth Luce as told to Eleanor Ransom Mayhew. Captain's Papers: A Log of Whaling and Other Sea Experiences. Barre, MA: Barre Publishers, 1965.
- Manuscripts Index. Library Reading Room, Peabody Essex Museum Library, Salem, MA. Card File.
- Hazard, Russella J. Whaling Notes: Captains from Sag Harbor and Surrounding Eastern Long Island registered at the Custom House Office 1790-1871. July 25, 1958. John Jermain Library, Sag Harbor, NY. Manuscript.
- Hain, James. "Woods Hole Whaling." Woods Hole Reflections, M. L. Smith, ed. Woods Hole Historical Collection, 1983.
- Webb, Robert Lloyd. On the Northwest Coast: Commercial Whaling in the Pacific Northwest 1790-1967. Vancouver, BC: University of British Columbia Press, 1988.