American Offshore Whaling Voyages: A Database
Source(s) for Voyage of American (Bark) 1845, Sep - 1848, Aug. Sailing from Sag Harbor, NY to North West Coast. Sent home 0 Sperm, 850 Whale, 0 Bone
- Works Progress Administration. Whaling Masters: Voyages 1731-1925. New Bedford, MA: Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 1938. Annotated copy located at the New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA.
- Starbuck, Alexander. History of the American Whale Fishery from its Earliest Inception to the Year 1876. 1876. Reprinted Secaucus, NJ: Castle Books, 1989.
- Batchelder, Charles F. Whaleship Index. New Bedford Whaling Museum Research Library, New Bedford, MA, 1960. Card file.
- Wood, Dennis. "Abstracts of Whaling Voyages, 1831-1873." Microfilm copy from the original manuscript held by the New Bedford Free Public Library, New Bedford, MA, 1981.
- Scott, Samuel. Curator, The Whaling Museum Society, Inc., Cold Spring Harbor, NY. Personal communication.
- Adams, James Truslow. History of the Town of Southampton (East End of Canoe Place). Bridgehampton, NY: Hampton Press, 1918.
- West, Ellsworth Luce as told to Eleanor Ransom Mayhew. Captain's Papers: A Log of Whaling and Other Sea Experiences. Barre, MA: Barre Publishers, 1965.
- Ship Registers of the District of Gloucester, Massachusetts 1789-1875. With an introduction by Stephen Willard Phillips. Salem, MA: The Essex Institute, 1944.
- Manuscripts Index. Library Reading Room, Peabody Essex Museum Library, Salem, MA. Card File.
- Ships' Passports on exhibit. Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum, Sag Harbor, NY.
- Hazard, Russella J. Whaling Notes: Crew lists from various voyages as copied from period newspaper articles. n.d. John Jermain Library, Sag Harbor, NY. Typewritten notes.
- Captains who sailed out of Sag Harbor but who lived elsewhere." John Jermain Library, Sag Harbor, NY, n.d. Typewritten list.
- Hain, James. "Woods Hole Whaling." Woods Hole Reflections, M. L. Smith, ed. Woods Hole Historical Collection, 1983.
- Ripley, Edward S. Contract with Samuel Osborn & Sons, January 24, 1883. Nicholson Collection, Providence Public Library, Providence, RI. Manuscript.